Sunday, September 30, 2012

Checking In...

 
It's been another quiet week on the blog -- this time, there was a lot less quilting going on, and a lot more driving to soccer games, appointments, etc!  However, I do have a couple of finishes to share.
This was a custom order request that began with a lampshade and a sea-themed nursery.  The challenge was to create a quilt to match the lamp (pink, aqua, green) and coordinate with the nursery (purple, yellow and lavendar).  I was a little stumped on what fabric to use, until I remembered the brand-new collection by Chez Moi called "Coquette".  The colors were perfect, and I was able to add in some of Sarah Jane's "Out to Sea" anchors fabric in pink and yellow.  I also appliqued a sea horse

And an octopus:
For the octopus applique, I used this tutorial.  I really liked the design of the octopus -- not too scary, and not too cartoony.  I did enlarge the pattern a bit so the applique would occupy a large corner of the quilt.  It feels good to have this project (almost!) done -- I still need to sew on the binding.  I dragged my feet on it a bit because I was second-guessing fabric choices for the applique, but in the end, I chose Kona solids in colors that coordinated with the Coquette fabrics.

The second finish of the day is this Reunion pillow cover, made to match another custom order Reunion quilt!
 I love the way it turned out.  Everytime I make a pillow cover, I feel like dropping everything else and playing with scraps to make a bunch more pilllows.  They are so addictive!  I did manage to move on to the other proects that needed doing, but I do see myself revisiting this pillow design sometime in the near future!
 
Let's hope this week is a bit calmer than the last one was so I'll have more quilty things to share!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kerry,

    I love how you got all of the colors to work for the "under the sea" quilt. We just got back from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Your quilt colors mirror those fun summertime colors found throughout the Boardwalk.

    Have a great weekend!
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete