Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Twenty-Five Quilts, Day 23

This quilt features the Juggling Summer collection by Zen Chic for Moda fabrics. When I first saw the collection online, I didn't think I would like it, but when I saw it in person at a quilt shop, it caught my eye. I purchased a charm pack and 1 1/2 yards of yardage with the intention of making a small patchwork squares quilt.
I pulled the project out on an unexpected snow day last week. As soon as I started laying out the squares, it became clear to me that I needed to go a different route. There are a lot of duplicates in the charm pack, and many of the fabrics read as solids, so I knew I needed to cut them up for better distribution, and add a neutral solid.
I cut all of the charm squares in half, added some strips of Kona Ash, and another coins quilt was born!
I always have trouble choosing a good quilting thread color when my background is light grey -- every time I try a grey thread, it always seems too dark. I ended up with an unexpected choice, a pale golden color called "Antique" by Connecting Threads. I actually used it on my last three quilts, and I think it will also be the perfect choice for my next quilt top, which also has a grey background.

I'm not sure what I'll use for the binding yet -- I don't have quite enough of the backing print leftover, but I might have a green in my stash that will work. I'm stockpiling some binding projects for a trip next week!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment